UCI decisions concerning cycling disciplines, other than road, faced with the coronavirus
Mar 20, 2020, 14:51 PM
Fourty-eight hours after announcing the main principles that will shape the revision of the UCI International Road Calendar in view of the resumption of the 2020 season in the context of the coronavirus, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) today announces the framework for the other disciplines.
Faced with the continued spread of the virus, notably in Europe, and in the context of restrictive measures adopted by a number of countries banning gatherings and movement of people, the UCI underlines that as world cycling’s governing body, it puts absolute priority on the security of athletes and all people present at events on the UCI International Calendar.
In view of the current health situation, the UCI, in its concern for sporting equity, has taken the following decisions:
- Suspension of all classifications for all events on the UCI International Calendar until further notice but at least until 30 April;
- Concerning requests for the postponement of events, priority will be given in order to:
- UCI World Championships, UCI World Cups, Continental Championships, National Championships, events on the UCI International Calendar.
Moreover, the UCI gives a reminder that for the qualification procedure for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, still ongoing for mountain bike, BMX Racing, BMX Freestyle and para-cycling, the UCI took the decision to ask the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) to stop the qualification period retroactively as of 3 March 2020, given that up until this date, no nation had been prevented from attending events. With this strong decision, the UCI ensures sporting equity for the allocation of Olympic and Paralympic quotas.
The UCI will continue to play its role as cycling’s governing body for the families of our sport with the double priority of health protection and sporting equity. In this period of uncertainty, the International Federation will continue to closely follow the situation and take appropriate measures in the interests of our sport. It calls on the solidarity of all to come through these difficult times together.
Following is the view of the situation concerning the UCI World Cups for mountain bike, BMX Racing, BMX Freestyle and Indoor Cycling:
2020 UCI Mercedes-Benz UCI Mountain Bike World Cup
- The first round of the UCI MTB World Cup (DHI) in Lousã (POR), scheduled for 21 and 22 March, has been postponed. New date to be confirmed
- The second round of the UCI MTB World Cup (DHI) in Maribor (SLO,) scheduled for 2-3 May, has been postponed. New date to be confirmed
- The third round of the UCI MTB World Cup (DHI) in Lošinj (CRO), scheduled for 9-10 May, has been cancelled at the request of the organiser and will not take place at a later date.
2020 UCI E-Mountain Bike Cross-country World Cup
- The second round of the UCI E-MTB World Cup in Ascona-Locarno (SUI), scheduled for 17-18 April, and the third round in Bologna (ITA), scheduled for 5-6 June, have been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.
2020 Enduro World Series
- The first round of the Enduro World Series, in Manizales (COL) scheduled for 28-29, the second round in Farellones (CHI), scheduled for 4-5 April, and the third round in Olargues (FRA), scheduled for 20-24 May have all been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.
2020 UCI Mountain Bike Eliminator World Cup powered by Citymountainbike
- The first round of the 2020 UCI Mountain Bike Eliminator World Cup in Dubai (UAE) scheduled for 6 March, and the second round in Barcelona (ESP) scheduled for 28 March have been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.
- The fifth and sixth rounds of the UCI BMX Supercross World Cup in Manchester (GBR) scheduled for 17-18 April and the seventh and eighth rounds in Papendal (NED) scheduled for 2-3 May have been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.
- The first round of the UCI BMX Freestyle Park et Flatland World Cup in Hiroshima (JPN) scheduled for 3-5 April, the second round in Puyang (CHN) on 7-8 May and the third round in Montpellier (FRA) scheduled for 21-22 May have all been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.
- The first leg of the UCI Indoor Cycling World Cup in Winterthur (SUI) scheduled on 4 April and the second leg in Wendlingen (GER) scheduled on 25 April have been postponed. New dates to be confirmed.